CPhA's Leader Development Institute
In 2013, CPhA partnered with the nonprofit Pharmacy Leadership & Education Institute to launch a new, yearlong program with the goal of developing the transformative leaders that CPhA requires to effectively pursue its mission: “To advance the practice of pharmacy for the promotion of health.”
What differentiates CPhA’s “Leader Development Institute” (LDI) from many other leadership seminars is its emphasis on self-awareness and discovery, and the deliberate application and practice of leadership skills (vs. simple knowledge acquisition). While attendance at the four, daylong live sessions is critical, it is really the work that attendees perform in their daily lives between sessions that makes the biggest impact on their lives. A “Learning Coordinator” and members of a 3-4 person “Learning Pod” support participants in the performance of this interstitial work.
For more information about LDI including the program learning outcomes, please click here.
- Participants in the program must possess current CPhA membership in one of the following categories: Pharmacist, Retired Pharmacist, Pharmacy Technician, Associate, or Joint Membership. Student members in their final year of school are eligible to apply for the program as long as they can attend all four sessions.
- Applicants must honor a commitment to attend EVERY in-person session:
- Session I - Wednesday, February 22 preceding CPhA’s WPE Conference in Palm Springs, CA
- Session II - Saturday, May 20 at CPhA HQ in Sacramento, CA
- Session III - Saturday, August 19 - Location TBD
- Session IV - Friday, November 10 preceding CPhA’s Leadership Summit in Southern California (Location TBD)
- Leadership Summit - Saturday, November 11 - Sunday, November 12 (optional) in Southern California (Location TBD)
Tuition for the entire yearlong program is $1,850 for CPhA members and $2,250 for non-members. (One year of membership is included in the non-member rate). For 2017, CPhA is generously providing 18 select participants with scholarships to cover all tuition costs except for a $400 nonrefundable deposit ($800 for nonmembers - this includes 1 year CPhA membership) which must be paid by participants within 14 calendar days of being notified of their acceptance to the program. Upon successful completion of the yearlong program (which includes attendance at every live session and Leadership Summit), CPhA will apply the value of the deposit (up to $400) towards the graduate’s registration fee for the 2018 Western Pharmacy Exchange.
While tuition includes light meals and refreshments associated with the in-person sessions, participants are responsible for any associated travel, hotel and outside meal costs. As such, they are encouraged to seek reimbursement or sponsorship from other entities (employer, local association, etc.).
Only 18 spots are available for 2017, and interested individuals are required to complete an online application. Only complete applications received before 11:59pm on January 6, 2017 will be reviewed. Applicants will be notified of their admission decision via email by January 20, 2017. Until a final determination is received, applicants are advised to reserve the dates listed above for the in-person sessions.
“LDI helped me make my previously overflowing plate much less full. I am now less a ‘doer’ and much more an ‘empowerer’; able to effectively inspire and engage others in important work for common goals. I no longer have the need to always be the heroine, and I’m now more interested in making heroes of the people around me. Thanks to CPhA and LDI, I once again feel happy and ALIVE, knowing with a certainty that this is the ONLY way to lead."
-Moje Moradi, LDI Graduate